Just pushed a new project, TabBarKit, up to Github. It is a small and elegant implementation of a “container” view controller concept.
Some interesting aspects include:
- No backing or support images required to draw the tab bar interface. The bar, tab item selections and arrow indicator are implemented as CALayers.
- Tab bar and tab items support two styles, a standard appearance a la UITabBar or with an arrow indicator a la Tweetie / Twitter).
- UIImage category takes black images masks and renders with gray and blue selection gradients like UITabBar/UITabBarItem
- Uses UIView block animations to respect the hidesBottomBarWhenPushed property on contained UIViewControllers.
- Uses ObjC associatedObject API to associate tab items and the tab controller with contained view controllers.
Screen capture of the “tweetie” style tab bar…